Sunday, December 30, 2012

Center Stage Naturals: Nikki


Derrel Anthony Photography
Please introduce yourself.  Hello My name is Nikki, a lover of Natural Hair. I am originally from Jackson, Mississippi and currently residing in the Atlanta area.   Also, I am a Licensed Massage Therapist here in Atlanta, my biggest hobbies are Photography and DIYs. 

How long have you been natural?  I have been on this glorious natural journey for 3 years and feels like forever.  I transitioned for a year and then BC'd and it has been the best journey I have been on.
What made you decide to go natural?  My first thoughts of going natural were, I was tired of paying so much money for a perm, I hated getting burned out of this world from the perm & it was time to switch up my hair.  Now my first intentions weren't to wear my hair in its natural state.  I would still get blow outs and flat iron my hair.  Wasn't really ready for the "NAPPINESS".   It wasn't until a couple of months before my trip to Jamaica 2010, I was looking for a curly weave for my hair becuase I knew I was going to get in the water. That is when I came across so many different hair forums and natural hair ladies from youtube(at that time didn't know people were using youtube for hair tutorials).  After watching videos, reading forums & researching information, made me curious to know what my natural curls, kinks or coils were and that is when it all began........ 
Derrel Anthony Photography
What were the reactions you had to going natural? Did you receive any positive or negative comments?  The first person I told was my beautician at the time. Her reaction was HILARIOUS!! Her words to be exact, "GIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRLLLLLL, your hair is too THICK to be trying to go natural and who is going to do all of that?'  She had me cracking up over the phone, but she ended up still styling my hair.  Just about everyone was positive about it, I don't really remember the negative feedback because 1)It was so long ago and I barely remember what happened 5 mins ago...lol & 2)Negativity goes in one ear and out the other.  Whatever people said about it or made smart remarks or whatever, it did not change how I felt about myself and did not change my thoughts about what I wanted to do.
Who are your hair inspirations, if any?  My hair Inspirations are Corrine Bailey Rae, Esperanza Spalding & my daughter, Akina.
Do you have a regimen? If so, what is it?  I do have somewhat of a hair regimen....It varies sometimes and depends on how busy I am.  I try my best to wash my hair once a week.  If not, I don't go any longer than 2 weeks.  If I know I have a busy schedule and I have to go 2 weeks, I try to style my hair in twists in keep it in for the first week, moisturizing my twists/braids every 2-3 days and using my essential oils for my scalp, when I feel my scalp to be dry.  
What are your favorite products?  Favorite Products right now are Tresseme Naturals Shampoo & Conditioner, all of Eden Bodyworks Products, Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia & Camille Naturals Twisting Butter...but I am always trying new products and love to see what works and doesn't work for me.

You are the owner of Knotti Nikki. What made you want to blog about natural hair? My main focus of my blog was to track my natural hair journey.  Also, I would get asked how did you get your hair to look like that, or how did you create that style, so I wanted to do KnottiNikki so that they could get the information and be able to recreate the styles and look.  It has blossomed into something more than I expected which I love!!
What is your favorite thing about being a natural hair blogger?  Being able to get information out there to people that aren't sure of how to handle their natural hair.  Also, the wonderful people you meet in the natural hair community!!!!  It is a lot of love and support, and truly love the relationships I have made with others!!!

Where can we find you online?  You can find me online:  Blog | www.knottinikki.com  Twitter/IG | @knottinikki   Youtube | Knottikurls


A big huge thank you to Nikki for sharing her natural journey with us! If you have never been to KnottiNikki, make sure and head on over and check out the knowledge and inspiration being shared!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...